Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shoe Cake

My cousin loves shoes. So why not make him a shoe cake for his birthday. This was my first attempt at sculpting a shoe and good thing my boyfriend helped with the details!

How: Bake lots of cake so you have enough to work with. I stacked two 10" and one 6" cakes. The base of the cake is a flat rice krispie layout of the shoe. Then I carved the cake into its shape. Carve off a little at a time- it's much harder to put cake back together! Make sure the cake is cool- if not, it will be falling apart with crumbs everywhere! Crumb coat it and put it back in the fridge. In the meantime, roll out your fondant, and remember to roll out more than you need so you can just cut off scraps rather than worry about not having enough. Cover the cake. Now you have the fun detailed-work like the shoe lace. I also used a roller tool (kind of looks like a small pizza cutter with serrated edges). It creates a nice stitch look.

No comments:

Post a Comment